Celebration of Faculty Excellence in Research, Scholarship, and Creative ActivityNovember 15, 2018
Student Union Red Raider Lounge
The Offices of the President, the Provost, and Research & Innovation are proud to announce a new initiative to publicly recognize and celebrate individual faculty and teams of faculty in all disciplines who have been recognized for research, scholarship, and/or creative activity at the national or international level during the preceding year. Additionally, the celebration will provide a forum in which colleagues from across campus and the community can learn about the exciting, high quality research, scholarship, and creative activity that is being conducted at Texas Tech University.*
*This event is not to be mistaken for the President's Excellence in Teaching and Excellence in Research Professorships. This event is for general recognition of nationally or internationally awarded faculty regardless of professorship candidacy.
Celebration of Faculty Excellence in Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity
Deans, Department Chairs, and Center/Institute Directors have been asked to nominate deserving faculty through Competition Space by October 1, 2018.
Attend the EventPlease RSVP to the event by November 5, 2018
Note that an RSVP to attend does not count as a nomination. To nominate an individual or team, please see the procedure and activities section below. No self-nominations allowed.
Achievements Eligible for RecognitionExternal awards, honors and achievements bestowed as national or international recognition are eligible. Awards must have been received between August 1, 2017 and September 1, 2018. These include, but are not limited to:
- All awards listed in the Targeted External Faculty Awards Program, including the highly prestigious and prestigious awards and honors in the National Research Council tables;
- Faculty elected as fellows in their national professional societies;
- Faculty who have achieved an issued US patent;
- Other nationally or internationally recognized activities and achievements that are proposed by Deans, Directors, or Department Chairs will be considered;
- Individuals and teams who contribute to the success and excellence of research, scholarship, and creative activity will also be recognized.
Procedure and Activities
- The Offices of Research & Innovation and the Provost will solicit eligible nominees from department chairs, deans, and directors. The deadline for nominating candidates will be October 1.
- Deans, directors, and chairs will submit nominations of individuals or teams. (Note: self-nominations will not be accepted; an individual wishing to be nominated should consult with his/her chair). Nominations will be submitted online through Competition Space only.
- Nominations will include the faculty member's name, rank, college, department, award/honor name, organization that bestows the award/honor, copy of the award letter, a link to the description of the award, a brief description of the award along with how it is nationally competitive in the discipline, and how the recipient's work led to this award. The latter two statements may be provided by the department chair or nominator.
- The Offices of Research & Innovation and the Provost will vet the nominations and make recommendations to the Provost and VPR&I who will make final decisions by October 15.
- Each nominee selected will be invited to attend an awards ceremony where he/she will be recognized and presented a certificate for "Excellence in Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity."
- Awardees are highly encouraged to mentor and assist other faculty to achieve similar national and international recognition. Those who wish to be paired with a mentee are invited to email email@example.com.